Aug 8, 2009

Huaraches sabrosisimos (super-delicious huaraches)

Huaraches sabrosisimos (super-delicious huaraches)



The huarache, is a long (most are 7 to 9 inches) oval of masa shaped vaguely like the sole of a sandal – when cooked the right way they are thick semi-hard and chewy tortillas. Served hot off the grill, some huaraches are dressed up like tostadas, with meat, onions, cilantro, crema (you can substitute sour cream) and finely powdered cheese on top. Others are smeared with refried beans, meat of your choice, lettuce, cotija cheese (most stores have this now but it is a cows whole milk cheese), crema, avocado and salsa. Don’t confuse these for stuffed huaraches like you find in some places where the “tortilla” (for lack of a better term) is filled with beans or meat inside (ala pupusa's, but thinner).




When I make them I buy huaraches, I buy them handmade from a local market and I don’t use refried beans, I tend to use whole black beans or smashed whole pinto beans. I have also gone non-traditional and topped them with grilled veggies instead of meat. I have also made a Mediterranean variant with hummus, sliced cucumbers, mint, pitted Greek olives, and feta cheese.

Regular corn tortillas are just not the same, these are worth looking for. Cook them in a pan, on a grill or griddle, but DO NOT microwave them!!! I toast mine up in a cast iron skillet or in my electric sandwich press. Cook them so that when you pick it up its stable and holds the “goods” but not so it’s crisp like a chip.

No comments: